Monday, September 29, 2008

Holy Heat Batman, Thems Peppers Sure Are HOTTT!

A while back a fellow blogger posted that she successfully had grown some Bhut Jolokia, the hottest pepper in the world (around 1,000,000 Scoville units) , and I had asked for one. Well, today she delivered, actually it was her daughter, and it was time to celebrate. I now have my hands on the hottest pepper known to mankind. So, what did I do with it? I ate it of course, well not all of it ;-)

A GREAT BIG THANKS TO LAYANEE FOR THE SAMPLE!!!!

Let's begin with how hot this pepper really is with a quote from Wikipedia: The full article

One seed from a Naga Jolokia can produce sustained intense pain sensations in the mouth for up to 30 minutes before subsiding. Extreme care should be taken when ingesting the pepper and its seeds, so as to not get it in the eyes. It is used as a cure for stomach ailments. It is also used as a remedy to summer heat, presumably by inducing perspiration. In northeastern India the peppers are smeared on fences or used in smoke bombs as a safety precaution to keep wild elephants at a distance.


How did it taste? AWESOME!! The heat was very mild at first and then it got hot fast, but not intolerable (to me anyways). A coworker (Bob) could only try one intsy piece and he's a chilihead! I had the endmost tip away from the stem, a seed, and some meat where the seeds grow. The tip reminded me of a habanero, the seed was pretty hot, and the meaty section tasted fruity like strawberries then immediatly lit my mouth on fire! It was a good fire. The pepper itself has a really enjoyable and strong taste. The heat reminded my of Dave's Insanity Sauce, but the big difference is: the pepper tastes really good while Dave's sauce is just heat with no flavor!

Here's another great article: click me

Enjoy some pics cause I know you'll never eat em!!!!


A fine specimen


Just around 3 inches in length


The stem & cap with the seeds & meat.


Mmmmmmmmmm!!!


I going to rub these all over someone's keyboard (maybe Bob or Sallie or Brian or Joyce or Emily or....)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kevin: You are THE man! LOL at spreading the joy on the keyboards. Did you save any seeds to plant? You are so welcome and I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the pepper. I will be making a deer repellent from some of mine!